Doctors, Families Rally for Cure for Deadly Birth Defect

Parent's Perspective

KSDK.com News Report of Saint Louis Children's Hospital Press Conference

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Tribute to One of My Heros

I want to work for a company that contributes to and is part of the community. I want something not just to invest in. I want something to believe in. --Anita Roddick

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1660911,00.html

It seems like a lifetime ago - before Cecilia and before I had heard of the birth defect Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia - I studied Anita Roddick and her business. I even wrote a speech I had to give in a Business Public Speaking Course I took in College on her. (When I went back to get my degree.) I admired this woman so much for taking a stand and trying to make a difference in this world.

A few months ago, I found her blog and had lost touch with what Ms. Roddick had been doing and learned that she was fighting illness, had sold her company and was still being the activist she always had been through her life. I want to live like that and also die like that!

Of course, my mother, my grandmother and my sister and my daughters are my heros in my life but I also can include Anita Roddick in that category also.

I recall that stock of her company fell a bit and the accountants were informing her of this "great loss". Her reply to them was something like this: "All on paper, we didn't really loose any money because we didn't have it in the first place."

If more CEOs would view it that way!

No comments: